Tuesday, October 04, 2005

and here is another stain on the record of modernity

we've failed again: the genocide in Darfur is drawing to a close, but only because there aren't any more black people to kill. The first thing I wonder is how many marches I could have gone to or how many more calls I could have placed on their behalf how much more consciousness raising I could have done and if any of it would have made a difference. The sad truth is that it probably wouldn't have, but don't I still have blood on my hands for not trying? I guess this time the genocide wasn't carried out by the forces of modernity (directly anyway) so Aime Cesaere's critique doesn't fit as directly, but it is still a bloody shame we stood by again and did next to nothing. I suppose I should read Zizek's newest article "against human rights" to see just how he can say this. Though I see the way this liberal cry has been manipulated in Iraq, there seems to be something behind it to preserve.

No comments: