Friday, August 27, 2004

on bus today...

more on this when I am less busy, but went on bus today, late again, feeling a bit angry and entitled. it was late yesterday as well and I was at the stop for an hour, at school an hour later than I needed to be, etc.

As I sat on bus, reading PEOPLE's History, realized what was going on. It was her first day driving this route.
doing it to make more $$ driving the long routes
people came forward to help
one after the other to gude her through
this was in her interest, and they were advocating for themselves.
Not about Americans but about people--but it is about making a country where people can help themselves, each other and the institutions in which they relate.
As I thought about it, compared it to a few weeks ago, getting off the bus when driver was wrong about the route, doing myself, the others on the bus, the driver and ultimately Metro itself a disservice because of my deference and interest in helping only myself in getting off the bus.

Lippmann--model of communication and of reading the news is the atomized, individual reader, trying to take it all in. But we don't experience the news that way, do we?

Still, more and more, even on the internet, I find that our communcation is strained

No comments: