Saturday, September 03, 2005

collapse

I am a little upset that I am not more eloquent. It really can't be traced to my upbringing, but I simply can't not curse when I'm angry. Obviously, my career as a pundit or public speaker is going to be a limited one. oh well. I feel better...

One other thought and then I must retire (I can practice, can't I?)...

A while back I was thinking through Jarrod Diamond's new book Collapse...I don't really have time to read what I wrote then, but I have read a good many reviews of it since then and it seems that the major argument people advance against him is that the societies he looks at are too removed from modernity to be compelling examples of his thesis. The latter is, basically, that we will ignore impending environmental peril which will result in the collapse of our society and ecosystem, even if it could be halted, if it isn't in the immediate self interest of the elites of the society. After reading all the reports about how certain it was that New Orleans would be destroyed if a fairly statistically probable weather event occurred, it seems clear that Diamond has his best example for the intro to the paperback. This one even has a gut wrenching aftermath.

There are some times when it really sucks to be right.

No comments: